Joshua 24:15 says, “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”
I pray you are doing well when you receive this prayer letter. My family and I are doing well, and we greatly appreciate your prayers. We thank God that we are off to a good start in 2015. The Lord has blessed us with first-time visitors every service this year. Praise the Lord for those who have been saved and have followed the Lord in baptism!
Recently we honored police officers in our church. Out of the three police officers I personally invited, two of them showed up with their families. They really enjoyed the service and promised they would return. A lady by the name of Ashley started attending our church the first Sunday in January. She was saved and baptized and hasn’t missed since.
Several weeks ago I preached an anniversary service for a pastor friend of mine who pastors in Arroyo, Puerto Rico, which is a city up in the mountains about two hours from Ceiba, where I am privileged to serve. During the message I mentioned how I was saved at the First Baptist Church of Hammond and that I was reached through the Bus Ministry of my home church in Indiana. I was so blessed and surprised when four people walked up to me after the service and said that they, too, had attended the First Baptist Church of Hammond when they were younger and that they also were reached through the Bus Ministry. I also told them that the world was not so big after all.
• PLEASE PRAY FOR PUERTO RICO TO BE SAVED!
• Please pray for souls to be saved and baptized.
• Please pray for our church growth and its ministries.
• Please pray for my wife’s health and mine also.
• Please pray for more laborers.
• Please pray for our Christian school, Lighthouse Baptist Academy.
We have some very special needs that we would like to ask you to pray for at this time.
• Our main auditorium has four air conditioning units. One of them broke down, and we need to get a new one.
• The transmission on our church van needs repairs. Please help us pray for this matter.
• The Puerto Rican government has issued a repeal of Law 82, which is a law that allows churches to have a church school without the interference of the government. The government wants to force church schools to get a state license in order to operate. They also want a “say so” as to our curriculum. They also want to tax all private schools, including church schools.
• Please pray for our economy. This past year 2014, over 80 new taxes have been added to us. Even our bank accounts are being taxed. The government is considering raising sales tax to 16%.
Even though we are facing these battles and difficult times, the people are now seeking after God. More people are coming to church and asking God for help. Thank you for praying for us.
May God continue to bless you as you serve Him faithfully. Thank you very much for your love, prayers, and faithful support. God bless you.
Luis M. Martinez